Sunday, November 11, 2012

Prayers Needed

Luckily this isn't about Stella, but of another horse at the barn who is dear to my heart.

Christopher is a 34 year old Saddlebred who has been a fixture at the farm for many years. I found him last night down, unwilling to get up, temperature of 95.6F and uninterested in food. 4 hours later, vets diagnosed a severe colic episode, possible impaction. He was checked several times over the night after receiving supportive care, and hasn't improved this morning. He's worse, temperature is up and the impaction/distention is worsening. He's been pumped full of IV fluids and is being walked every hour, vets will be back out at 3PM and we'll be making the final call then. If he were younger, he'd already been in the clinic receiving colic surgery, but age obviously makes that a no-go.

This brings me back to Ernie, and caring for an older horse. It's the worst thing knowing that there's so little you can do so save a older horse in a crisis condition.

Please keep Chris in your thoughts. His situation is grim, but positive thoughts are appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Aw this makes me so sad just reading it. I have a big spot in my heart for older animals...especially horses! <- They're just seem so wise!:)

    I'm wishing the best for Christopher!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...