Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Long Time Coming

It's been less than 48 hours since Ernie left us. There's been a lot of tears and a lot of hurt.

However, a lot happened that day that has forever changed me, how I view horses, and how I see myself.

I don't know if I could possible explain everything that went on. Some of it borders on supernatural or of another realm, and some appears now to be part of what connects all of us together is this messy web of life. Whatever it was, whatever it is, I feel as though I've been blessed with something bigger than me.

Ernie went quietly and without struggle. Even the vet said later it was one of a handful of times in his entire career that he'd seen a horse so willing to go. There is no doubt in the minds of anyone who witness his passing that he was ready and thankful to be let go.

I never thought it would happen. Ever. Not with this horse. He fought so many battles in his long lifetime, I thought for sure this would be but another one, but it wasn't. I looked his eyes when I had a conversation with him that morning. Through tear-filled eyes and a shaky voice I told him he was going to take a trip, that I'd be with him until the end, that he was going somewhere good and that he'd be happy and pain free for the first time in a long time. I told him his stomach wouldn't hurt anymore, nor would his back and hips, and at that moment he started to flutter his eyes and chew softly. I about lost it. It was his way of saying, "That sounds good to me, thank you."

I cut a piece of both his mane and tail, and I pulled his shoes shortly before the vet arrived. He stood quietly on the cross-ties while I removed both shoes, and remained there calmly, with one foot cocked and his eyes closed as I cried to Eryn. "Just think, soon he won't be in pain, he'll be somewhere better, weaving away and being fed barbecue Fritos," she said (Ernie loved barbecue Fritos, and I fed him 3/4 of a bag that morning from my hand). My hope is he'll never have to weave again. My hope is he's in an endless pasture surrounded by other horses, with no walls or fences to limit him.

I didn't really lead him down to the bottom of the field, he led me. He's never been one to pull when being led: normally he likes to lag behind slightly. But he stayed right close to me, keeping the lead line taut the entire walk. When we got down beside the hole, he observed his surroundings, nuzzled me and sighed softly.

It took less than 3 minutes. I said my goodbyes, leaving his forelock wet with tears. The vet administered the sedative, and we stood quietly while he relaxed. About a minute later, the second round of shots were given. I kissed the sunken area above his eye, whispered "I love you," and slipped the halter off. Within seconds he buckled and fell as gracefully as would to lie down. I watched the light slip quickly from his eyes. Within moments he was gone.

I sat with him for what seemed like an eternity, stroking his face and crying what seemed like a lifetime of tears. I didn't need to see the vet check for a heartbeat or here him say "He's gone" to know he had already left me.

Eryn walked Stella down for me, so she could watch and say her own goodbyes. She never seemed particularly attached to Ernie, but they shared a field, a barn, and they shared me. They had their own particular sort of relationship. I now wonder if she never fought him off, or kicked back when he acted nasty to her because she knew how fragile he'd become. She watched the entire thing as calm as can be. Donnie said at one point soon after he'd gone, she lifted her head: her nostrils had gotten wide, her eyes fixed on him. What she saw or felt I don't know; perhaps she saw him leave. When I finally got up from stroking him, I went over to her and petted her neck. She curled her head towards me and nuzzled it into my stomach, letting me hug onto her head while I cried. All of this comfort, coming from a mare who'd barely let anyone pat her cheek for more than a few seconds. She's never been a cuddler or particularly affectionate. I looked up at Donnie, who immediately understood this was not a normal occurrence: this was something else.

For the past two days Stella has been herself but calmer. She's stood watch over Ernie's old paddock and stall, watching what appears to be nothing for hours on end. When I put her out in the pasture they used to share, she stood next to the fence, facing down the hill towards where Ernie is buried.

So many things have been said, so many thoughts have crossed my mind. There are too many things that have happened at such specific times, they can't be coincidences. I can't bring myself to discuss them all now: they'll come up I'm sure, in future posts. This blog will remain named "The Chronicles of Ernest", because while he may have left this earth, he is still with me. I still have memories and experiences, things that will never leave me. I want to to continue to share those, as well as my embarking on a new journey with Stella. Ernie's passing has given me a closer relationship with her: I've seen the changes already, and words cannot express how grateful I am to him for that. Part of me wonders if he was waiting for her to come along to the point where he knew I'd be taken care of, knew that I'd have the love of another horse, before he started to go downhill. He started to lose condition in March, right around when I first got on Stella and began her training under saddle.

This horse has forever changed my life in so many ways. I am a better person because of him, a better horse owner because of him. I gave him everything I could, and while it will never be enough for me, his passing with ease tells me he was content.

I miss you Ernie.

16 comments:

  1. It's so, so hard to lose such a sweet soul. Many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gave him a good life and a good passing. When they tell us it is time to let go, it really is. {{hug}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about your lovely old boy. It sounds like you took excellent care of him and he was very lucky to have you as an owner. I am not a regular follower, but I came over from Andrea's Eventing-A-Gogo blog because I thought you might need a kind word. You did the most compassionate, loving thing for him. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post. I too came over from Andrea's blog to share a compassionate word. It seems like you had a wonderful deep connection with Ernie, and I'm so sorry for your loss. The worst thing about having and loving animals is that we out live them and the end is always hard no matter how it comes. I'll be thinking of you and Ernie and sending virtual hugs and well wishes your way.
    -DS
    Adventures In Colt Starting

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm here because of Andrea's blog too... and having been in your shoes more times than I want to remember wanted to let you know the grief does become less intense and the best memories will be what remain. You did for him what was best and I have no doubt he comes and tells you that in your dreams. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abbie, I am so, so sorry for your loss. Ernest sounded like he was a wonderful horse and I can't imagine how you are feeling right now. You gave him a wonderful life and a dignified end. Much hugs and love

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm a new reader, but I know that Ernie must've been quite a wonderful horse. I know what it's like to lose a horse that you've developed such a strong relationship with... you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came here from Andrea's blog, and I'm in tears reading your post about your old boy. I'm so sorry for your loss, and commend you for making the right choice at the right time, as hard as it was.
    He was loved, and from your description, he knew he was loved, and that is the best gift anyone could ever give or get.

    Best,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a new reader to your blog. What a tough decision to come to, but it sounds like you did the right thing for Ernie. He was well-loved by you, and now he can rest after having a good run at life.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I said goodbye to my old horse Noble (he was 30) last July, so I know a little bit of what you're going through. It's OK to feel very sad, but know that you gave him the gift of peace when he needed it, which is one of the most special things we can do for our horse friends. Sending best wishes and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Condolences to you and yours -- it's always heartbreaking to let a best friend go, but it is lovely to hear he was so calm and ready. I am sure that he thanks you for all your love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry. I too, am a new reader and what a beautiful final post you just wrote. You did the best and most kind choice for your baby. You gave him obvious love and care, and in the end, support to say it was ok to go. What strength you have. Many, many hugs to you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for your kind words. I truly appreciate them. For all of those who are new to this blog, I'd encourage you to continue reading. This isn't the end of Ernie and the happenings. There may not be any new ones, but I have many, many memories to share. And Stella, my 4 year old Appendix mare, will come into the picture more, as her training progresses and she and I connect more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Abbie,
    Just found you courtesy of Miss Denali Slew and her mama. I am so very sorry for your loss. I have ridden my whole life and have never owned my own horse, but I fully appreciate the bond you had with Ernie. How brave of you, and how wonderful that you understood he was letting you know it was time. As my favorite vet once told me, "The biggest responsibility we have as animal guardians is to release them from pain and take it upon ourselves."

    Godspeed, Ernie, and know that he is waiting for you on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...