Wednesday, October 10, 2012

*Insert Catchy Title Here*

There's not much to say, as usual. Stella is getting fuzzy and doing what she does best: eat. The nights here are getting cooler, dipping down into the upper 30's on occasion. Leaf peeper season is almost over, the grass is mostly gone.

I did some overhauling on the Red Barn a few days ago (that's our name for the barn Stella is in), spending my only day off wearing a dust mask and cleaning cobwebs off the ceiling, raking up loose hay and organizing. It was rejuvenating, to see the old barn looking so nice. Pictures to come soon.

Meanwhile, the questions continue to come: when are you gonna ride Stella?!

Short answer: I'm in no rush.

How many ways can I say it...I'm not ready. She's happy being a potato, and I'm in the process of A) furthering my education in a way that'll provide me with a stable job, and B) learning a TON about myself as a professional and a person. Do I miss riding? Yes, but not as much as I thought. Believe me, I'd love to get back in the saddle, but I've learned (several times) the hard way that pushing the envelope isn't the way to get closer to your goal. I've done what I've needed to do for some time: I've stopped aspiring to ever ride this mare, and started focusing on enjoying and being present every moment I'm with her.

The improvements have actually been very noticeable. She has started to follow me around more. I went to close the gate to the pasture yesterday before her farrier appointment and didn't even need to halter her: she stayed at my side and followed me back into her stall. The last time the farrier came out she colicked, but this time I monitored her eyes and breathing and supported her when she started to get anxious (which didn't happen until the last foot). How do you "support" a nervous horse? You keep their attention on you, give reassuring pats and quiet words. You don't allow them to get sucked into whatever spiral they are headed into. It worked wonderfully: her eyes were soft, her ears with in a nice "V", and she would tuck her nose into my chest on occasion. Dawwwww.....

Improvement comes in off forms sometimes. As I was cleaning the other day she would often come in from grazing to "check" on me, standing with a leg cocked in the stall, watching my every move as I swept and sorted. Not something she's started doing until recently. Good news in my book.

1 comment:

  1. this all sounds so positive -- and isn't it funny that things that calm her anxiety work on us human folk too?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...